It’s time for yet another segment of United Tastes of America. We’re thrilled that @mangianyc is joining us today to discuss the best eats in Hoboken and Jersey City. For those of you looking to get your grub on in NJ, make sure you bookmark this post because you’re gonna want to try each and every one of Diane’s recommendations. So without further delay, let’s get to it.
Name: Diane B (@mangianyc)
City/State: Hoboken & Jersey City, New Jersey
1. Grab brunch with your friends: Anthony David’s, a great Hoboken spot for a slightly upscale, yet still casual Italian dinner or BYOB brunch (served seven days a week!). We love to eat on their patio in the summer outdoors, and you can’t beat their private dining room for a big group celebration.
Tacoria has all kinds of tasty fast casual Mexican food, and even though guac is extra, you get huge scoops that make up for it. Midtown Philly Steaks serves up killer cheesesteak sandwiches and one of our favs is the buffalo chicken cheesesteak, or you can’t go wrong with the classic cheesesteak.
3. Splurge $$$ on a killer meal: Battello in Jersey City, is an upscale italian restaurant located right on a pier overlooking the city skyline. Perfect for date night or to celebrate.
You can take the path train right over to it at the Newport stop, from either Hoboken or Manhattan. Great italian food and cocktails and you can’t beat the atmosphere with that beautiful view especially at night. They also do a nice brunch on the weekends.
4. Go for date night: Grand Vin is a super cute spot nestled a little further back into Hoboken and perfect for a date or a girls night out. They make a phenomenal BURRATA CHICKEN PARM with prosciutto, I’m already drooling. The ambiance of the restaurant has a romantic vibe.
It’s very well decorated, usually with flowers, greenery and lights. I love sitting inside and enjoying some wine and cheese. They also have a lot of ongoing happy hour specials. (even through quarantine, which is hard to come by these days)
5. Eat clean: Quality Greens Kitchen, I order from here almost regularly these days. It’s our go to spot for when we need a nice healthyish weeknight meal, where you can pick a plate with a protein and two sides or get a salad.
I generally like to get the chicken plate with greens, the three bean ceviche and the kale umami slaw(which is very addicting). So good. But there’s enough options for my picky fiancee, who will order mac and cheese and broccoli with his chicken. So everybody wins.
6. Enjoy coffee/tea with a friend: Lackawanna Coffee in Jersey City, You can hang out in their hidden backyard patio on Grove St or sit outside of their Bay St location. They offer an impressive list of drinks including a dulce de leche latte and an iced pink latte.
7. Dine on a budget: Vito’s Deli, in Hoboken, is one of my favorite go to lunch spots since college for a delish italian sandwich with fresh mutz, as they would say. You’ll get a pretty hefty sandwich that can probably be split with two people for under $12, which is a pretty good deal.
8. Find the best happy hour deals: Madd Hatter in Hoboken, always has a happy hour special on most days for your next round of drinks.
10. Go with a large group: Pilsener Haus & Biergarten, a german biergarten in the northern area of Hoboken, with both a large indoor and outdoor dining space.
You can usually get a large table, perfect for a bigger group of friends to get together. You can enjoy all kinds of german food like bratwurst, giant bavarian pretzels and large pints of beers on tap here.
11. Best Diner in New Jersey: We couldn’t do a list of NJ, without listing our favorite diner! Tops’ Diner in east Newark, a little further out from the jersey city area, but let me tell you one of the best diners in all of NJ! And we are known for our diners so that’s really saying something.
Their chefs are phenomenal, and you’re really getting a high class experience at a diner, where almost anything you want is available. Everything we’ve ever had there has tasted amazing with decently large portions and giant desserts.
Keep in mind, this place is popular and there is usually a wait for a seat, but pro tip! You can add your name to the waitlist on the YELP app now.
1. Burger: White Mana
3. Ice cream: Bucket & Bay Gelato, there’s a location in both Hoboken and Jersey City, but the JC one is their main location, and you can see where they make the ice cream in the back. They also have alcoholic ice cream!
4. Asian food: Domo Domo
5. Drink: Corgi Spirits
6. Steak: Dino & Harrys Steakhouse
7. Seafood: Hooked JC
8. Noodles: Ani Ramen
10. All you can eat: McSwiggans Pub, weekly 7.99 all you can eat specials.
And that’s a wrap for today! A huge thanks to Diane for taking the time to share her delish recs with us all. Make sure you guys give her a follow on instagram to keep up with her nomtastic adventures in Jersey and NYC. To see more from our United Tastes series, click here and stay tuned for new content coming your way.