Alright Nomsters, we’re pumped to continue United Tastes of America today with Christina Nguyen aka @h2ochristina. Based in Phoenix, AZ, she posts about all things delicious on instagram and contributes regularly to @bestfoodphoenix. She’ll be spotlighting some of the best eats in AZ so you’re in for a serious treat. Planning a trip to Phoenix? You’re welcome in advance.
Name: Christina Nguyen (@h2ochristina)
City/State: Phoenix, Arizona
1. Grab brunch with your friends: La Grande Orange is a cute urban vegan-friendly cafe that’s nearby Camelback Mountain so it’s a great stop right after a hike in the morning or just a lovely place to eat at with an open view that has an adorable gift shop right inside the restaurant.
2. Satisfy late night cravings: Taco Mich is a 24 hour taco joint with several locations in the valley. It is a hole in the wall but has one of the best carne asada tacos in the area that is cooked to perfection and served with fresh ingredients as well. On Wednesday’s, they have a special for $0.75 tacos.
3. Splurge $$$ on a killer meal: Cafe Monarch was listed as Top Three Fine Dining Restaurant in the nation in 2018, and for good reason! Their menus are always changing so there is always something different to try with every visit. Cafe Monarch has a Four Course Pre Fixe Menu so cost of dining experience varies depending on the fourth course selection.
4. Go for date night: Sumo Maya has a nice contemporary setting that maintains a trendy and lively ambiance. It’s the perfect spot for a first date and on the weekends for they have a live Dj for entertainment. Their food is a Mexican-Asian fusion which is a great way to try out new bites!
5. Eat clean: Want to eat healthy but don’t have the time to prep your meals? The Bodhi serves deliciously crafted healthy food on the go and can also provide vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options as well. They also sell super juices for remedies such as hangovers or energy kicks.
6. Enjoy coffee/tea with a friend: Sip Coffee and Beer has a casual and laid back environment with a hipster atmosphere that would be the perfect place to hangout with friends or even a study date with your classmates. They also have a nice selection of beer options as well for those who are beer enthusiasts.
7. Dine on a budget: Pho 43 is a beautiful hidden gem that was actually one of the first Vietnamese restaurants to open up in the valley. They are a family-owned restaurant with authentic home-cooked Vietnamese food with prices that cannot compare to anywhere else; a generous serving of pho can start at $7.99 and their rice dish with shredded pork, steamed pork loaf, and grilled pork goes for $8.50.
8. Find the best happy hour deals: We all know sushi can get a little pricey, that’s why Kabuki is the perfect spot to get your sushi cravings fixed! From Mon-Fri 3PM-6PM, Mon-Thurs 9PM-close, and Sun 8PM-close, you can order $4 salmon sushi, $5 spicy tuna roll, $6 firecracker, $7 spicy tuna crunch roll, and $8 Vegas rolls, with other selections at a discounted price as well!
9. Eat for the gram: We all have been guilty at least once or twice (a handful of times for me) that we go eat somewhere because we want to get that instagram-worthy shot. Teacup Boba in the west side of the valley definitely fits that description. A family-owned joint that makes all your photos aesthetically pleasing from their wall decor to their desserts itself! Their dessert includes a churro loop set on top of a cup of soft serve with any kind of added toppings that are desired. I personally love to add fresh strawberries because it creates a gorgeous ring around the rim of the cup that resembles a flower!
10. Go with a large group: Ohya is the go-to spot for my friends and I whenever we have a birthday coming up and there are more than 10 of us attending dinner. Not only are they accommodating with large groups, they also have private karaoke rooms that can be rented out by the hour so it is the perfect place for all of us to get together to have a good time and enjoy Korean barbecue. They are even open until 2AM on the weekends so the festivities can last all night long!
1. Burger: Rehab Burger Therapy
2. Pizza: Giordano’s
3. Ice cream: Genbu waffles
4. Asian food: Clever Koi
5. Drink: Wow Wow Lemonade
6. Steak: Galeto Brazilian Steakhouse
7. Seafood: Angry Crab Shack
8. Noodles: Umami
9. Coffee: Tres Leches Cafe
10. All you can eat: Junn
Alright Nomsters, we hope you enjoyed reading all about the best eats in Phoenix, Arizona. A huge thanks to Christina for sharing her recommendations with us today – make sure you guys follow her on instagram for more and browse other United Taste segments here. Until next time, friends! Happy eating.