Are you guys ready for another segment of United Tastes of America? We can’t even begin to tell you how excited we are to hear about Alabama’s bomb food scene. Today, Nick and Jenny Nicholson (aka @eatingalabama) are telling us about their favorite nom spots in Birmingham, AL so you’re definitely gonna want to bookmark and share. Happy drooling, Nomsters!
Name: Nick and Jenny Nicholson (@eatingalabama // eatingalabama.net)
City/State: Birmingham, AL
1. Grab brunch with your friends: Roots & Revelry has a brunch buffet serving southern favorites. They may have a bit of a wait but it’s worth it. The restaurant is located in the beautiful historic Thomas Jefferson Tower.
2. Satisfy late night cravings: There’s nothing better than a good burger after a night out with friends. Jack Brown’s is open until 2 am and not only has a variety of drool worthy burgers, but also has a great selection of craft beer.
3. Splurge $$$ on a killer meal: Hot and Hot Fish Club and Highlands Bar and Grill are two places we go to when we want to splurge and celebrate an important occasion. You’re sure to have an amazing experience – the service and the food are exceptional.
4. Go for date night: Tacos, tamales, and margaritas are our date night staples. We love everything about El Zun Zun. They serve authentic Mexican cuisine and have an extensive tequila and mezcal selection (try their tequila or mezcal flights).
5. Eat clean: Ono Poke is our favorite when we want to eat clean. You select what you want in your poke bowl and I almost always grab the ahi tuna and/or salmon. It’s super light and refreshing during the endless summer months here in Alabama.
6. Enjoy coffee/tea with a friend: There are so many coffee/tea spots here in Birmingham. Our favorite place for coffee is Seeds Coffee Co. The coffee is excellent and their space is perfect for catching up with friends. We have a separate spot for tea – Piper and Leaf produces some of the best artisan tea in Birmingham. We usually grab an iced tea and the tea bags to make more at home.
7. Dine on a budget: Blue Pacific at Hoover Food Mart serves the best Thai food and offers huge flavor for those on a budget. It’s located in a repurposed gas station south of the city. Be sure to check their Facebook page for specials!
8. Find the best happy hour deals: Our pick for the best happy hour deals has to be at Babalu. Babalu’s social hour is from 3-6pm Monday through Friday. You’ll love their drinks and tapas but be sure to check their website for daily specials!
9. Eat for the gram: You can get Instagram worthy photos AND brioche doughnuts at Hero Doughnuts. They also have a full lunch menu with our favorite crispy buffalo chicken sandwich.
10. Go with a large group: Back Forty Birmingham is a brewery with community tables that are perfect for large groups and parties. Grab a beer and check out their menu because their food is always top notch. Be sure to order a beer flight.
1. Burger: Chez FonFon
2. Pizza: Post Office Pies
3. Ice cream: Big Spoon Creamery
4. Asian food: Red Pearl
5. Drink: Collins Bar
6. Steak: Perry’s Steakhouse
7. Seafood: Automatic Seafood
8. Noodles: Bamboo on 2nd
9. Coffee: Seeds Coffee
10. All you can eat: Bayleaf Authentic Indian Cuisine (lunch M-F)
11. BBQ: Saw’s Soul Kitchen
12. Meat and Three: Niki’s West
And that’s it, friends! We hope you enjoyed reading today’s United Tastes post. A huge thanks to Nick and Jenny for their fire recommendations. Make sure to give them a follow to see more of Alabama’s best, and stay tuned for more scrumptious content. Wanna see more from this series? Check out this tab to read about some of the best eats in America.