We’re beyond excited to have Justin Schuble (aka the one and only DCFoodPorn) tell you guys all about healthy eating today on Nomtastic Foods. He spilled the beans on 6 of his favorite restaurants in the DC area that make clean eating fun and easy so definitely make sure to read until the end.
1. Chaia specializes in vegetarian tacos, offering seasonal varieties that are packed with nutrients and flavor. This is my go-to place when I want something healthy yet hearty. Everything can be made vegan and gluten free!
2. Beefsteak (right) is a fast-casual concept created by one of my favorite DC chefs, Jose Andres. The restaurant’s name is a play on words (think beefsteak tomato) and veggies take centerstage here. I recommend building your own bowl so you can get all of your favorite vegetables and toppings. I also suggest splurging on the avocado – it’s worth it!
3. Little Sesame (left) is a shop that sits below DGS Delicatessen in Dupont and is a great place to grab a quick, healthy lunch in the city. The menu is simple, with just a few bowl options. Hummus is the star of the show here so if you love hummus, you’ll love Little Sesame.
4. Union Market is one of my favorite places in the city. Located inside is DC Dosa (left), serving up dosas (Indian dish similar to a crepe), filled with veggies and topped with bold sauces. There are a ton of gluten free and vegan options here, but you won’t even notice that you’re being healthy!
Related Post: Top DC Food Instagrammers You Need To Follow STAT
5. This fast casual spot is Middle Eastern-inspired and completely vegan (but you wouldn’t even know it)! At Shouk (right), you’ll find a variety of pitas, rice bowls and salads as well as a creative selection of dips like cashew labneh and beet tahini. The Shouk burger, which can be served in a pita or a bowl, is one of the best meatless burgers I have ever tried.
6. I don’t believe food has to be fat-free, sugar-free and flavor-free to be healthy. To me, health is about embracing natural ingredients. Glen’s Garden Market offers fresh groceries as well as a variety of sandwiches, pizzas, salads and soups that are perfect for a healthy lunch. I usually get a cheese-less pizza loaded with vegetables for something hearty and nutritious.
Related Post: Best Gluten Free Desserts in DC
Andddd that’s a wrap for today! Have you guys tried any of these places? If yes, leave us a comment below! Where do you all like to get your nom on when you’re looking to eat clean – do you have any recommendations for us?